Learn how to make Achari Paneer Tikka. Paneer Cubes marinated with Pickle marinade and cooked in oven/Gas Tandoor/Charcoal Grill/Microwave and Tawa.
- 400 grams Cottage Cheese (Paneer) cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 Red Bell Pepper(optional) cut into cubes
- 1 Capsicum cut into cubes
- 1 onion cut into cubes
For the Panch Phoran Masala
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds (rai dana)
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds (zeera)
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1/4 tsp Onion seeds (kalonji)
- 1/4 tsp Fennel seeds (saunf)
- 2 tsp Pickle Masala/Gravy (Masala of any pickle of your choice)
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Orange food colour (optional)
- 1 tbsp Pickle Oil (oil of any pickle of your choice)
- 1/4 cup Hung curd (Dahi / yogurt, tied in a muslin cloth for 1 hour and water drained from it)
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- 3-4 tbsp melted Butter
- 1/4 tsp Chaat Masala (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast the panch phoran masala (mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, onion seeds, fennel seeds) in a pan or Tawa and remove it from heat once it starts to splutter up and become aromatic.
- Cool and grind to a fine powder and keep aside.
- Soak the skewers in water so that they do not burn while grilling.
- In a bowl Beat the hung curd and add garlic paste, pickle oil, salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, pickle masala and the ground panch phoran powder.
- Add the cottage cheese to the prepared marinade, coat each piece well.
- Cover and allow it to marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Remove the marinated cottage cheese from the refrigerator.
- Add the diced vegetables, orange food colour to the marinated cottage cheese and coat them with the marinade.
- Marinate the vegetables and cottage cheese for 10-15 minutes.
Method 1) Achari Paneer Tikka In oven/Charcoal Grill/Tandoor
- Preheat the oven at 220 degrees and skew the vegetables and cottage cheese onto the skewer (remove any excess marinade).
- Brush the cottage cheese and vegetables with melted butter before placing them on the grill in the oven.
- Grill them till one side begins to turn brown and then turn over and grill the other side.
- Keep basting with melted butter in between, cook for 15-20 minutes or till cottage cheese gets cooked evenly from all the sides.
- Gently remove the skewers from the oven and transfer to a serving plate, sprinkle chaat masala.
Method 2) Achari Paneer Tikka on Stove top
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a non stick pan/tawa and place the marinated Cottage cheese cubes.
- Fry the Cottage cheese cubes from both the sides until golden.
- Remove and them keep aside.
- In the same pan/tawa add the marinated vegetables and fry until brown from both the sides.
Method 3) Achari Paneer Tikka in Microwave
- Arrange the Cottage cheese skewers in a microwave proof small plate and cook , uncovered on High for 4 minutes.
- Turn over, brush with a little oil and cook again on High for 4 minutes.
For the Grill option in Microwave
- Pre-heat the microwave, using the microwave and grill option, to 250°C (500°F) for approximately 9-10 minutes.
- Place the Cottage cheese skewers onto a microwave proof small plate and microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes.
- Serve with green chutney and onion rings or with Naan/Garlic Butter Naan.
Note :- Add less salt as the Pickle masala contains salt.