Chicken Lababdar is a mughlai gravy prepared with Chicken pieces marinated in tandoori masala and cooked in onion, tomato and cashew based gravy.
- 1 kg chicken (with bone or boneless)
For the marination:
- 1 cup hung curd
- 2 tbsp tandoori masala
- 1/4 tsp Orange food color (optional)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- salt to taste
For the Gravy
- 4 onions finely chopped
- 1 big sized capsicum (finely chopped)
- 2-3 green chillies (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup tomato puree (blanch and grind 4-5 tomatoes until smooth)
- 2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tbsp coriander powder (Dhaniya powder)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi crushed
- 2 tbsp cheese grated (Optional)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 10-15 cashews (soaked in water for 15 minutes)
- 5-6 threads Saffron (kesar) optional
- 1 bay leaf (Tej patta)
- 2-3 cloves (Laung)
- 2-3 green cardamom (Choti Elaichi)
- 5-6 tbsp oil
- 3-4 tbsp butter
- salt to taste
- Grind cashew nuts with milk to make a smooth paste.
- Marinate the chicken with Hung curd, Tandoori masala, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, lemon juice, orange food color, ginger garlic paste and salt for 2-3 hours.
- Remove the Chicken from the tandoori masala and keep the leftover masala aside.
- Grill the chicken pieces in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until half done.
- Alternatively you can shallow fry the chicken pieces in a non stick pan for 8-10 minutes or until partially cooked.
- Heat oil in a Kadai/Pan.
- Add Bay leaf, cloves, green cardamom and chopped green chillies, fry for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onions and fry until golden.
- Add Ginger garlic paste and fry for 2 minutes or till oil seperates.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, mix well and roast for 1-2 minutes on low flame.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and roast till oil floats on top.
- Add the chicken pieces, capsicum, Cashew-Milk paste, kasuri methi, saffron, salt and leftover marination masala.
- Add 1/2 cup water, Mix well, Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or till chicken becomes tender.
- Add grated cheese (optional), butter and mix well.
- Serve hot with Onion Kulcha/Butter Garlic Naan/Naan/Plain Rice.
(Visited 405 times, 4 visits today)