Learn how to make delicious Chicken Stew Kerala Style made with Chicken cooked in Coconut milk and spices.
- Chicken – 500 gm, on the bone or boneless
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Turmeric -1/4 tsp
- Potatoes – 2 medium-sized, peeled & cubed
- Green chillies – 4-5 slit lengthwise
- Onion – 1 large, thinly sliced
- Ginger – 1 inch piece, finely chopped
- Garlic – 6-7 cloves, finely chopped
- Curry leaves – 8-10 leaves
- Thick coconut milk – 2 cups,fresh or Made with coconut powder
- Cashew paste/powder – 2 tbsp
- Freshly grounded Black pepper -1 tsp
- Corn flour – 1 tsp, dissolved in water
- oil – 3-4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Cinnamon – 3/4 inch piece
- Cloves – 4
- cardamom – 3 whole
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Whole peppercorns – 15-20
- Marinate chicken with Vinegar, turmeric powder and salt for 30-45 minutes.
- Coarsely grind all the dry whole spices in a grinder and Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pot, add the powdered dry spices and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the green chillies, sliced onion and fry for a minute.
- Add the curry leaves, ginger, garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Do not let the garlic turn brown.
- Add the potatoes and mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add one cup of coconut milk and half a cup of water , salt and cook for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Add Crushed Black pepper, cornflour dissolved in water and cashew nut powder/paste.
- Bring to boil and cook for 6-7 minutes or until gravy is slightly thick.
- Serve hot with Roti /Rice /Appam.
(Visited 5 times, 1 visits today)