Popular Middle Eastern Turkish Pizza Lahmacun Recipe made with ground meat, spices and Tomatoes.
For the dough
- 3 cups all purpose flour (Maida)
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- ½ tbsp sugar
- ½ cup lukewarm water/milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 7-8 tbsp oil
For the Topping:
- 400 gm ground Mutton mince (Keema)
- 1 tbsp butter/oil
- 2-3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 large onion, grated
- 4 large tomatoes chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp cumin powder (Jeera powder)
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- salt to taste
- Boil Tomato in water for 1 minute, remove and peel.
- Finely chop the blanched tomato and keep aside.
MAKING THE DOUGH:
- In a small bowl mix yeast and sugar.
- Add 1/2 cup of warm water or milk, stir well, cover the bowl.
- Keep the mixture in a warm place for about 15-20 minutes to activate the yeast.
- Add the yeast mixture and oil to the all purpose flour.
- Knead until the dough is soft and smooth.(Add water if required)
- Grease the dough with oil and place the dough in a large bowl.
- Cover and allow to rest in a warm area for 1-2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
- After 1-2 hours, take the dough out and punch down.
- Divide the dough into 10-12 big balls (ping pong ball sized).
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface, set aside and cover with a damp towel.
MAKING THE TOPPING:
- Add the butter in a pan.
- Add onion and garlic, sautè until translucent.
- Add the chopped Tomatoes and cook pressing the tomatoes with the back of a spoon for 6-7 minutes.
- Add the Mutton Mince and stir fry on high heat until juices evaporate and meat starts to brown.
- Add the tomato paste, chilli flakes, salt, black pepper powder, cumin powder and lemon juice.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes or until 3/4th done.
- Remove the lid and cook further, so that the excess moisture can evaporate.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool down.
- Take balls of dough and roll as thin as you can into a round/oval shape.
- Baking the Turkish Pizza
- Grease the Baking sheet lightly with olive/vegetable oil.
- Place the Pizza base on the greased baking sheet.
- Brush each pizza base with olive oil.
- Top with 2-3 tablespoons of the topping and spread the topping very thinly.
- Each baking sheet will hold two Turkish Pizza/lahmacun.
- Bake in a Preheated Oven on 220 Degree C / 425 degree F for 10-12 minutes or until golden and crispy on the edges.
- Keep your eye on the Lahmacun / Pizzas in the oven to make sure they bake evenly.
- Lahmacun Crust is not like pizza crust, Lahmacun crust is thin.
- You can also use flour tortillas and skip the doughmaking.
- Make sure when you bake the Lahmacun/Turkish Pizza, you oil the baking sheet when you bake them.
(Visited 7 times, 1 visits today)