This is a delicious and simple Crab recipe which anyone can make at home easily. Infact Crab are good for health, and should be consumed more often. The taste and texture of it’s meat makes it a delicacy eaten world-wide.
Crabs are rich in Chromium which helps insulin to metabolize sugar, helping in reducing the blood glucose levels in the body. Chromium also helps in increasing HDL the ‘good Cholesterol‘. Rich in Selenium which is an anti-oxidant which reduces the effect of cadmium, mercury and arsenic which cause tumours. As a sea-food it is also rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, which helps reduce the level of tri-glycerides and LDL, which chokes the arteries.
Things You’ll Need:
To Dry Roast:
- Desiccated Coconut – 100 grams
- Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Cloves – 5 nos
- Cardamom – 5 nos
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Star-anise – 1 no
- Jeera (Cumin) – ½ tsp
- Red dried Chilli – 20 nos
- Curry leaf – 1sprig
- Onion – 1 large
- Tomatoes – 2 ripe
- Ginger – Garlic Paste – 2 tbsp
- Water – 200 ml
- Crab – 700 grams
- Water – to cover Crabs
- Oil* – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Curry Leaves – 4 sprigs
Steps: [10 mins]
- Clean the Crabs. As I had purchased cleaned frozen Crabs, did not have much work to do.
- Finely slice Tomatoes and Onion and store separately.
- Clean and pat dry the Curry Leaves
Preparation : [40 mins]
- Dry roast all the ingredients under ‘to dry roast’ for about 5 – 8 minutes on low flame, till the raw tastes go and you get the fine aroma of the roasted** ingredients.
- Transfer to a grinder and dry grind when warm.
- Heat Oil in a non-stick pan and sauté Onion till translucent.
- Add Tomatoes and Ginger-Garlic paste and stir till the Oil separates.
- Transfer to the grinder with 200 ml Water and grind to a smooth paste, along with the powdered ingredients in step 1.
- In an earthen-ware (as in photograph), heat 1 tbsp Oil.
- Stir in the Curry Leaves, till it curl.
- Spread the Crab, evenly in the pot. Mix in the ground paste, add Water to cover the Crabs, cover and bring to boil.
- Simmer on low flame for 15 minutes.
HOW TO EAT A CRAB:
You will need:
- Crab Cracker
- Bowl to discard bones, fins and cartilage tissues
Were to start from:
- Start by removing the claws – which has the juiciest and white meat. Use a spatula to remove the meat.
- Then cut the legs using a Crab cracker and remove the meat as above.
- The body – has red meat. Use a sharp knife to cut open the body in half. Use a spatula to pull out the meat.
- Now you are ready to eat Crab meat the method of your choice.
NOTES:Preferably Coconut Oil. Be careful not to burn the ingredients as it tastes bitter.