Ragi is a nutritious grain that is used as the main food in most of the South Indian states. Dough is made after grinding it and dishes like ragi laddo, ragi dosa, ragi idli and ragi roti are made from the flour. It is perfect for diabetic patients and children. To make this, the mixture of ragi flour, rice flour, curd, spices and water is first made and then the dosa is made from it.
- 1 cup ragi flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup sour yogurt
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tbspspoon finely chopped coriander
- Oil, to sink
- 1½ cups of water
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds (mustard seed)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 5-7 Curry leaves
- 1 tsp oil
- Take ragi flour, rice flour, chopped green chilies and curd in a large bowl. Put 1½ cup of water and salt in it. Mix well and keep the solution for 30 minutes to be set. The mix should not be thick. If necessary, add more water to dilute the solution.
- Add chopped onion and green coriander and mix well.
- To temper, heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan (pan). Add rye (mustard seeds) in it. When they begin to crack, add cumin and curry leaves in it. Remove the pan from the flame and add that to the mix we prepared earlier.
- Heat a non stick dosa tawa on medium flame. Do not forget to stir well with a spoon before mixing each dosa. Pour some oil on tawa surface. Now take acup of batter an pour it on the tawa from center to side forming a circle. Keep some holes in between so that steam can easily get out of it and the dosa becomes crisp. Add 1-tsp oil around the edges of the dosa. Until the surface of the upper layer becomes brown, let it cook on medium flame, it will take approximately 1 minute.
- Flip the dosa and on the other side cook on medium flame for 30-40 seconds.
- Ragi dosa is ready. Put them in a plate and serve with peanut chutney. Likewise, make the dosa from the remaining batter mixture.
Know more about Ragi Flour and It’s amazing Benefits here
Tips & Hacks:
- To check whether it is hot or not, sprinkle a few drops of water over the hot flame and if the water is immediately evaporates then the tawa surface is ready.
- Use this non-stick pan to make this dosa, it will not stick to the dosa pan.
- The ragi dosa solution should not be thick like a plain dosa solution. It should be diluted like water/milk.
- To make it more nutritious, pour 2 tablespoons grated carrot, 2 tbsp of capsicum and other vegetables (step-3) in the solution.
- Ragi is very beneficial for diabetic patients.
Serve ragi dosa in the morning breakfast with a green coconut chutney or red coconut sauce or in the evening meal with sambhar.