Rasgulla is a very famous and one of the most liked in sweet dishes in India. It is a soft and spongy chestnut shell, immersed in a syrup of sugar and cardamom, is a traditional Bengali dessert which brings water to the mouth as soon as you see it. It is also known as Rosogola in the local dialect and It is also famous in the nearby state Odisha. It is very easy to make it at home and make it, you only need milk, sugar and lemon juice which can be easily found in any kitchen anytime.
In this recipe, We will learn how to make cottage cheese from Milk and then How to make Rasgulla balls using the cheese and at least How to make soft Rasgulla by dipping the balls in Sugar cardamom syrup.
- 1 liter full cream milk (cow’s milk is better)
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1½ cup of sugar (more or less, according to your taste)
- 4 cups of water
- 2-3 green cardamom, optional
Use cow’s milk to make good rosets. You can also use the flower fat milk of any brand. We have used flower fat milk to make rasgulla in this recipe.
The recipe for making fresh cheese (china) for making fresh cheese at home (follow step 1-5). If you are following the link given to prepare the china, then leave step-1 and step-2 below.
Method of Preparing Rasgulla :
- Boil the milk on a medium-high flame. Mix lemon juice with 2 tbsp of water to it.
- When the milk starts boiling, slow down the flame. Gradually add a mixture of water-lemon and keep stirring constantly with the spoon. The whey will get separated from the liquid whey. When the process cmpletes, then turn off the gas. Spread a muslin cloth over a large filter and pour the milk on it. The Cheese will remain in the clothes and all the water will get out.
- Now hang the cloth with cheese for 30minutesand make sure the excess water drips out
- Unfold the clothes and take the cottage cheese to a big plate.
- The cheese should be a little dry and a bit dense. If the cheese is much dry then the rasgulla will become hard and if the cheese is softer then the rasgulla will break at the time of cooking and after the cooking and their size will not remain round.
- Knead the cheese with hand until it is mixed together like a dough. When your palm starts to smooth, Its an indication that it has started to form fat an the fat is making the dough smooth.
- Make small rasgulla balls from the dough. Do not make too large balls, as the balls in the next step will become larger after it is dipped into the sugar syrup.
- Bring a vessel with lid, add 2cups of sugar and 4cups of sugar into it, don’t forget to add cardamom.Boil it on medium flame to make cardamom essence sweet sugar syrup.
- When the syrup starts boiling, then drop the cheese balls to it and Cover the it with lid and cook on medium flame. If you are using pressure cooker, just put a lid on the cooker, do not whistle.
- After 5 minutes remove the lid and gently stir it with a spoon. Again turn off the lid and boil on medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the lid and turn the gas flame off. Now you will see beautiful rasgulla balls double in size.
- Remove the Rasgulla balls to a bowl and keep them to cool for few hours.
Tips and Hacks:
- Use cow’s milk to make Rasgulla spongy. If cow’s milk is not available then you can also use milk of buffalo.
- Do not reduce the amount of water or quantity of sugar (you can taste more sugar) But if the sugar is less in quantity then you will not feel the same sweet taste.
- Do not knead the cheese after it becomes smooth when it releases the fat.
- To make this sweet, do not use the paneer purchased from the shop.
- It is necessary to keep the syrup boiling while cooking rasgulla. Do not cook on low flame. If necessary, make the flame up faster to keep the syrup boiling.
After dinner it can be served as a dessert or in the midday meal as a dessert with food.