Rava dosa is an instant dosa that is served in the morning breakfast and is made from Rava and rice flour. Unlike other dosas, the RAVA dosa solution is not required to be prepared overnight, its solution can be prepared in just 15 minutes. To make it at home, mix all the ingredients like rava, rice flour, flour, finely chopped onion, cumin, green chili, ginger, water, salt, etc. and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes. so what are you waiting for? Let’s get started, to make your breakfast even more tasty and entertaining!
- 1/2 cup rava (semolina)
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 inch piece of ginger, grated or finely chopped (about 1/2 tsp)
- 5-6 curry leaves, cut
- 2 tbsps finely chopped coriander
- 1 onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup), optional
- 2¼ – 2½ cups of water (approx.)
- Oil and dosa
- salt to taste
Method of making Rava Dosa
- Collect all the ingredients to make the batter mixture.
- Put 1/2 cups of semolina (semolina), 1/2 cup of rice flour and 1/4 cup of flour in a large bowl.
- Add salt (approximately ½ tsp or taste) and 2 cup water. Mix well. Keep in mind that there will be no lump.
- Add 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 chopped green chili, 1/4 inch ginger slice, cut into 5-6 cut curry leaves, 2 tbsp of finely chopped coriander and 1/4 cup finely chopped onion.
- Mix well. The slurry should be diluted like buttermilk (not like plain dosa solution). If needed, pour the water till the solution becomes diluted and mix it well. Cover it with a plate and set it for 20 minutes. After about 20 minutes, check the solution again. After soaking, Rava (semolina) absorbs water and makes the solution thicker.
- If necessary, add more water to the solution. Mix the solution thoroughly.
- Heat a non-stick tawa or dosa medium to medium flame. Keep in mind that the tawa is moderately hot otherwise the solution will stick to the pan and the dosa will not come out easily and may partially burn.
- Sprinkle some drops of water on it to check if it;s ready. If water drops immediately disappear, then it means that the pudding is hot enough and ready to make dosa. Take as much as ½ cup of batter and pour it on the tawa and make a circular dosa by using circular movement.
- Turn it on, and on the other side, for a minute or a little crush, let it cook until it gets cooked.
- Remove the Rava dosa in the serving dish and serve it with coconut chutney.
- Before making each dosa, mix the solution well.
Suggestions and variations:
Tips and Hacks:
Do not put the onion in the solution. Instead of adding the solution on the hot pan, sprinkle onion chopped on it and mix it over it. This will not douse the dosa and it will also taste good.
Serve hot with Rava dosa in a green coconut chutney, red coconut chutney and vegetable sambhar. It can also be served in the dinner.