- Thur dal 3/4 cup
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind extract from the size of a gooseberry.
- Vegetables chopped (Preferable 1/2 cup of vegetables available:brinjal,cucumber,raw
- plantain,drumsticks,lady’s finger,tomato,carrot,potato)
- Buttom onions 2
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder 4 tsp( according to the spiciness u want)
- Coriander powder 2 tsp
- Asafoetida 1/4 tsp
- Oil 2 tsp
- Mustard 1 tsp
- Curry leaves a few
- Fenugreek seed 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves a few
- Soak tamarind in water.
- First Cook dal in pressure cooker with turmeric for 3 -4 whistles.
- Mean while chop vegetables like brinjal(put chopped brinjal in water so that the bitter taste will get removed)
cucumber,raw plantain,drumsticks,Buttom onions,carrot,potato etc to cubes.
- Vegetable choice can u yours .I may not include some vegetable i mentioned above due to unavailability of them in my kitchen daily.)
- Potato i will not put as it produces gas.
- By this time there must have come 3- 4 whistles and dont open the pressure cooker until u finish chopping the vegetables.
- Once you finsh cutting vegetables mentioned above open the pressure cooker,smash the dal to fine paste.
- Add the chopped vegetable to it ,salt,Redchilli powder ,Coriander powder,Asafoetida and again pressure cook this till 2-3 whistles
until the vegetables are cooked.(You can add 1 tsp of any sambar powder available in market if u want it more spicy)
- While cooking the vegetables cut lady’s finger and tomatoes.
- Take a pan .put some oil and season mustard ,Fenugreek seed with curry leaves.To this add the lady’s finger and saute it for a while.
- Open the pressure cooker add tomatoes and boil it in low heat heat for 3 minutes. then add the tamarind pulp extracted.
- Add tyhe seasoned thing to gether with lady’s finger and boil for 2 minutes.
- After removing from fire u can add coriander leaves.Keep it closed so that aroma will remains.
This sambar is very easy to prepare even though it sounds like time consuming.It will take only 20 minutes to prepare this tasty side dish.Its a very good option in working women’s menu as it can be served with breakfast,lunch and dinner.
(Visited 28 times, 1 visits today)