Learn how to make Striped Zebra Cake at home in easy steps.
- 4 large Eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup / 250 gm granulated sugar
- 1 cup / 250 ml Milk, at room temperature
- 1 cup / 250 ml Vegetable oil
- 2 cups / 300 gm all-purpose flour (Maida)
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 2 tbsp Dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 DEG F/180 DEG C.
- Grease a 9-inch (23 cm) spring form pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs and sugar.
- Whisk until the mixture is creamy and light in color.
- Add milk, vanilla essence, oil, and continue beating until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, mix the all purpose flour and baking powder.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and beat until the batter is smooth and lump free.
- Divide the mixture into 2 equal portions.
- Keep one portion plain.
- Add cocoa powder into another portion and mix well.
- Spoon 3 heaped tablespoons of plain batter into the middle of the greased baking pan, allow it to spread naturally.
- Scoop 3 tablespoons of cocoa batter and pour it in the center on top of the plain batter.
- Do not stop and wait until the previous batter spreads.
- Do not spread the batter or tilt the pan to distribute the mixture.
- Working quickly, Continue to alternatively spoon the plain and cocoa batters, in bulls-eye fashion, until all the batter is used.
- Let the batter spread by itself and fill the pan gradually.
- Bake in the oven on 180 degree C for about 35-40 minutes.
- Do not open the oven at least the first 20 minutes or the cake will shrink and will not rise.
- To check if the cake is ready, insert a toothpick into the center.
- It should come out clean when done.
- Remove from the oven and if using a baking pan run a thin knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake, then invert the cake onto a cooling rack and let it cool.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with powdered sugar/ Chocolate frosting or leave it plain.
Note :- If you don’t have non-stick baking pan, grease whatever pan you have then line it with parchment paper (baking sheet).
For the Chocolate Frosting
- In medium bowl, beat 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1/3 cup butter with a spoon or electric mixer on low speed until blended.
- Mix in 1 tsp vanilla essence and 1 cup unsweetened melted chocolate.
- Gradually beat in just enough milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable.
- Spread the Chocolate frosting on the Zebra cake.
(Visited 8 times, 1 visits today)